Breaking Away Summary

THIS IS MY BLOG! Mostly used for my first fan-fiction: Breaking Away. Breaking Away takes place three years after Breaking Dawn. Marcus has taken over the Volturi after Aro's strange disappearance after the death of his wife. He has forced Edward, Alice, and Bella to join the Volturi while the human world burns into oblivion. Yes, you guessed it- Marcus has allowed vampires to roam free, killing people at will and now the entire universe knows about vampire existence. Meanwhile, Nessie and Jake are traveling across America to escape from Demetri who was sent to drag Renesmee to Volterra. Will Edward, Bella, and Alice be able to escape Marcus' clutches and the cold walls of Volterra to save Renesmee from a terrible fate? How much time does Jacob have to prove his love for Renesmee, before it's too late? Read my fic, I'll prove my liturature ablities! :) Happy hunting, Forbidden Apples.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Breaking Away Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Suggested soundtrack for this chapter: Preliator –Immediate Music

Bella’s POV

Once we reached Italy’s tip, we attempted to choose which way to Forks. My eyes, black and frantic, scanned the ocean’s wide berth. Its menacing waves were angry; gray with ash and bones.

“We can cross the Mediterranean Sea into Libya, or we could go west and slip in between Spain and Morocco.” Edward sighed. “But then we’d have the entire North Atlantic Ocean to cover.” He placed a palm on his head and huffed. Crossing the entire ocean could take weeks, and then we’d never reach Renesmee in time to save her life.

“Our only option is to cross the Atlantic.” I mumbled, and faced the depressing ocean. Could I stand the irritation of holding my breath that extended sum of time? If only airplanes still had pilots.

“Wait, Edward?” I asked, and grabbed his arm just before his foot hit the cold water. “Can’t we fly a plane that works? I remember you telling me once; you can fly a plane, right?” I memorized a time, so long ago, when Edward and I had been passing notes in class. I had posed what would Edward do if our plane was falling into the sky, and he simply stated, “I’d fly the plane.” Edward can fly us straight back to Washington.

“Yes, I supposed we could do that.” He smiled and bestowed me a quick kiss. “I’m glad I fell in love with such an intelligent beauty.” Edward took a map he stole from one of the stores along the way and unfolded it from his pocket. His finger pointed to a spot in Italy where there should be an airport with at least one functioning or fixable aircraft.

“Here,” He pointed to Italy’s capital, Rome, on the map. “This is our best shot. Rome has the most planes or helicopters, since it was such a huge tourist attraction.” Was. The simple word burned into my mind. Renesmee would never be able to see such beauty that used to be in our world. She had so much ahead of her, and Marcus snatched it away like it was his. Brushing away the thought, I nodded to Edward in agreement. We ran together towards Rome, which used to be one of the most beautiful places on earth.


Edward’s eyes were black with thirst, as were mine. We hadn’t consumed any blood in over two weeks now and it was taking its toll on our minds, driving as mad with thirst. Rome was as deserted as Antarctica, which would actually be better since there were still penguins. When we reached Rome, there wasn’t even a simple bird to bless us with its call. Whatever humans that were still in the area were either bunkered down, or dead. No blood anywhere. Edward and I even checked the zoo, to see if animals had wandered around, looking for food. Each cage was desolate and broken, signs of the animals clawing their way out, or clawing their way in.

“Edward, what can we do?” I was frantic, the need for blood chewing its way into my attitude. My eyes darted around the vicinity, searching for anything that moved, anything at all. I knew that if I saw a human cross my path, I would resist. But I didn’t know how long. I smelled blood wandering in the air. I breathed it in deeply, reveling in the lovely scent of it.

“I don’t know, Bella.” Edward wound a hand through his bronze hair and grimaced at me in pain that mocked mine. His midnight eyes penetrated into my soul. We were starving, that was definite. When we had escaped from the Volturi castle, we had planned to go hunting that day. We should have planned it through, but I had to ruin it all with a paroxysm. It’s been fifty-two hours since then, and we were dangling from the edge.

“Is anyone here?” I asked him. Edward closed his eyes and concentrated hard, spreading his mind to its full strength to detect a single form of life. “There are a few stragglers in the area… Why did you want to know?”

I shook my head, defiantly. “No reason.” My throat was on fire. I knew if an innocent, bleeding human crossed my path, I wouldn’t stop myself. Imagining the blood pooling into my throat like a sweet ecstasy made my mouth water with venom. I hissed out loud and fought myself. I would not break my own rules. When I was a human myself, I had promised not to take a life.

Edward noticed my indecisions stalked over to me. “Bella, what are you thinking?” He shook my shoulders a little. So he had heard the deception in my words. “You can’t drink a human, Bella! It’s merciless. You are better than that, I know you are.”

Edward was right. I’m superior to this, this maddening dryness burning my insides. I shook my head and used my finer vampire self-control to push terrible thoughts back to their place.

Then I heard a slight inhalation, a quick intake of breath of a very, very small mass. It stood impeccably silent, almost knowing there was danger by it. My senses took over as the monster inside me fought for control over my mind. I squeezed my eyes shut and battled for power over myself.

Edward’s grip tightened on my shoulders, and he wrapped his arms around me like steel girders. He twisted his neck to face something. What he was seeing was opposite my back, so I couldn’t imagine what it was. But I heard the heartbeat. Shoving myself out of Edward’s grasp, I dashed for the creature. Whether animal or human, I had to drink it now. Edward’s hand slipped past my arm as I out-ran him, my legs hitting hard against the rocky underbrush with supernatural strength. I bound forward and I heard Edward’s desperate pleas behind me to stop this madness.

The heartbeat was closer now, and hysterical with anxiety. It hammered fast and strong and pure, so overwhelming I didn’t reflect, I acted instinctively. Blood was almost upon me, I could almost feel the warm liquid soothing my neckline, running down it in the most satisfying sensation. Without seeing, I pounced onto the creature and breathed in its divine scent before Edward could seize me. I sighed in pleasure. This blood was like no other smell in the entire world. It sang to me seductively, all my senses were focused on that one smell. It was panting heavily, clearly frightened. The frame of it was small, and thin. Starved of food and water. I was astounded it didn’t buckle under my weight.

Venom pooled into my mouth as I stared at the angelic face that was my prey. Its icy blue eyes provoked. Opening my mouth, I barely touched my teeth to the hot skin when a body crashed into mine, screaming my name.

“No, Bella!” Edward held me still against the ground, hands behind my back. His movements were gentle, but firm. I couldn’t move. I wriggled a fraction of an inch out of his grasp, which made him hold me tighter. “Do you realize what you’re doing?” He asked of me, and picked me up lightly in his arms. Shaking, I realized I had come in proximity to taking a simple, human girl’s life. The monster inside me relinquished, and drew back to the corner of my psyche. I waited twenty minutes in Edward’s arms to gain complete control, and then I spread my shield out of me so Edward could read my thoughts. Once he knew I wouldn’t attack again, he set me down, but kept a watchful eye as I approached the quivering child.

“Little one, are you lost?” I posed, and positioned a hand on her petite head. She cringed instantly at my cold touch, and I took my hand away and placed it at my side, not wanting to frighten her. Edward came up behind me and touched the girl’s back.

“Are you alright?” He asked her, but she gave no response. The girl seemed to concentrate on something, her eyebrows furrowed, eyes a blank stare into the distance. “Can you hear me, child?” Edward glanced over in my direction, his black eyes wide with worry. I immediately felt guilty. Edward touched her flaming cheek, and she stepped back, her elfin hands outstretched to protect her face.

The human girl was artlessly striking. Sun-bleached blonde hair sheathed her face, cutting off at her chin bluntly. Her button nose stood straight, her eyes were large and abnormally blue, like neon. Her small, but full lips quivered and tears were rolling down her face. She instantaneously reminded me of Renesmee. Young, innocent, and helpless.

“Get away from me!” Her mouth formed the words awkwardly, and they sounded odd, like she was gargling them. I examined her mouth to see if it was occupied of any liquid but there was none. She must not be hearing what she spoke.

“Edward, I think this poor girl is deaf.” Turning, I took his hand in mine before he could approach and frighten her again.

“Blind as well, it seems.” He stated and focused his attention to her eyes. “Can’t you see that they’re unnaturally blue? There is also a slight cloud to them.”

Thank God Edward had attended medical school. Twice. I would have never of guessed her crippling blindness as anything but a rare color.

“I can’t read her mind.” Edward suddenly said, appalled.

“What do you mean you can’t?” I raised, utterly astounded. How can she shield herself from Edward’s gift? I mere mortal? I thought I was they only one with the ability to do that.

“What can we do?” This was insane. Two people in this world that was unvoiced to Edward. “I can put my shield around us, so you can read her thoughts.”

“No need, love. I know sign language, and she’ll need to identify me as a friend.” I let him go. Edward kneeled and tenderly lifted one of her arms, locating a hand into hers. His hand moved swiftly and knowingly, shaping words into her palm. Her face smoothed and she listened to Edward in her own way.

“What are you telling her?”

“That we’re trustable, and we want to help her.” Edward’s hands made a few more words, and I was intoxicated by the grace of his movements. “Now I’m asking where her parents are.”

I already knew the answer. Her parents were dead. They had to be, or else they’d be here to protect this fragile girl now. To ensure, her head bobbed and tears filled her eyes to the brim. She did not let them spill over. I had new respect for this girl, she reminded me of the strength I needed to rescue my daughter, and my friend.

“Now I’m asking for her name.” Edward continued.

“My name is Lynn.” Lynn’s words were harshly pronounced, but intelligible. I cocked my head to the side. Lynn was beyond mysterious; even how she held herself up, as if she were invincible, untouchable. Now that her moment of uncertainty about us was over with, she trusted Edward and me completely. But couldn’t she feel the coldness of Edward’s skin as his hand brushed against hers, forming words I would never hear? Surely, she could sense the danger in the air, especially after I had ambushed her?

I know what I had to do; this verdict was made before I brought it into deliberation. Lynn couldn’t survive in this world, anymore. Not alone, with no one to guide and help her stay alive. Lynn needed our help. She knew it. I knew it.

Edward stood up and ghosted over to where I was stationed. “Her parents are dead, as of this morning.” He looked at her with admiration, like he did for our Renesmee. Edward had a soft spot for children, like I did. He knew Lynn needed our aid and he would surely provide it.

I nodded. “Lynn needs to come with us.”


Jacob’s POV

She loves me. Renesmee loves me and thinks I’m beautiful. I chuckled out loud as I remember those words from so long ago, when Bella lost control of her motorcycle and hit her head. She had said those exact words. Hah. Like mother like daughter, I guess.

Renesmee was running with me, today. To give me a break from exertion, she had said. Knowing Renesmee couldn’t run for long, I would stop every few hours to give her a break. And she needed it. When ever we took a few knees, she would plop on the ground and breathe hard with her hands over her head. I always felt bad about this, but she was right. I was tired, and her weight when running could get slightly annoying. Plus, when she was on my back all day from traveling, it had to get cramped up there. This opportunity gave Renesmee a chance to exercise her half-vampire muscles.

“What’s so funny?” Renesmee asked me through ragged breaths. Her arms were pumping hard; her long legs were noticeably slower than an hour before. I saw some sweat begin to pool around her neck and collarbone. My steps wavered as I contemplated if we should take a knee for a few minutes or not… It’s only been an hour.

I barked back at Renesmee in a tone that really gave no answer. She sighed and picked up her pace, now determined to beat me. Over my dead body. I pushed myself to a sudden burst of speed, and passed her almost instantaneously. I sensed a huge frown begin to mold onto her features. I’d made her unhappy. I huffed, and made my way back to her, still in wolf phase.

“I’m tired.” Renesmee stated, and plopped onto the grass. We were close to the Canada border now. At least it was spring, and she only needed a jacket. Her coat was worn, I’d have to run to a store or something on the way before with hit northern Canada.

I trotted behind her and phased. Then came around and placed a hand on her slender shoulder. She was looking a bit too thin, lately. “Tired already?” I teased, an patted her shoulder apologetically. I unzipped her back pack and brought out a dried apple for her. Renesmee took the apple and ate it, without question. She must’ve been hungry. I checked our pack for an update on our food supply. Almost empty.

“Hey, we’re gonna have to stop in Vancouver for more food.” I claimed, and zipped the backpack back up, and positioned it down on the grass next to her. I sat, involuntarily played with her hair, out of mind. Renesmee nodded. She didn’t like to kill innocent animals for food; a very strict vegetarian, you could say. For some reason, I was glad. Watching Renesmee hunt was as bloodcurdling as it was glorious. Her teeth bared, her pounce through the air with her hair billowing across her face, and finally watching her suck blood reminded me too much of the greedy vampires who took over our world.

I decided Renesmee was too tired to run anymore, and took out a bedroll for her. I set it up, and tucked her in. Renesmee was unconscious before her head hit the dirty pillow. We needed to get our clothes washed, too. We were filthy, both.

Wrinkling my nose at my own stench, I quickly changed to wolf form and followed my muzzle to clean water, about a mile away. I still heard Renesmee’s shallow breathing, so it was a safe distance. I washed in the river quickly, shivering by the cold running off it. Shaking my self out, I reached out of my mind and connected with Seth’s. He was out for a midnight run around the La Push perimeter.

“Damn vampires are everywhere!” He cussed, and leaned his snout down close to the ground, following a fresh trail. “This one’s hot. I gotta follow, it’s headed for Forks.”

I sighed. This was normal. Parasites ran in and out of Forks and La Push everyday. It was insane, it was everywhere, and it was really bothering our noses.

“Go ahead, Seth. One shouldn’t be too hard for you,” I thought to him. “If it’s a newborn, I want you to have Leah help, ok?” He couldn’t handle a newborn by himself. I shuddered as I re-lived my bones being crushed like toothpicks when a newbie vampire had got his hands around me, back during the newborn attack from Seattle. How wrong we were! All the newborns had been a diversion, and Victoria had made a snap decision to follow Edward’s trail, where she new Bella’d be. I still had to thank Edward for destroying her. If Victoria had killed Bella, Renesmee wouldn’t be here now.

“Alright, if it’s bad, I’ll call Leah.” Seth pouted, but trotted loyally after the scent.

Thinking of Renesmee, I swiftly started my way back to her. It was completely dark now, and it was even hard for me to see, with no help from the moon. My senses were on edge, and I had no idea why. Scanning the trees for anything suspicious, I picked up my pace. I reached Renesmee in minutes, and breathed out, not even knowing I had been holding it back.

Renesmee mumbled something unintelligible in her sleep. I pulled the blankets around her tighter, and lay down to sleep.

Never did I know there was a vampire watching as I dreamily closed my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete